TRANSMAR SHIPPING CO. S.A. recognises environmental protection and management as one of its highest priorities and that every effort is to be made to conserve and protect the environment from marine, atmospheric and other forms of pollution, including office based waste.
TRANSMAR SHIPPING CO. S.A. operates a zero spill to the sea policy and the Company's aim is to eliminate the possibility of pollution at source by ensuring that high standards of safety and awareness are maintained and that all relevant legislation and conventions are followed.
The following types and sources of possible environmental pollution are recognised:
- Oil, including oil and related products carried as cargo, fuel and oily waste.
- Chemicals, liquefied gases and other noxious liquid substances carried as cargo in bulk and chemical waste.
- Dangerous goods, including cargoes carried in bulk and packaged form as well as other packaged and containerised goods that may be hazardous to the environment if spilled or lost.
- Garbage, including bio and non-biodegradable waste.
- Ballast water. This includes the possibility of aquatic organisms or water-borne pathogens being transported in ships' water ballast.
- Anti-fouling paints and their effect on shell fish and other aquatic life.
- Cargo vapour emissions, including their toxic effect on health, climate and plantlife.
- Exhaust emissions, including gases and unburnt hydrocarbon particles and their contribution to smog, acid rain and the greenhouse effect.
- Ozone depleting substances, including CFCs and halon gases and their effect on global warming.
- Noise levels from machinery and its effect on ships' crews as well as on local populations.
- Office generated waste, including waste paper, special waste and other consumables.
TRANSMAR SHIPPING CO. S.A. supports and facilitates the dissemination of knowledge developed in this field. The Company has also integrated all relevant environmental aspects on the Management System Documentation. By implementing the management system procedures, TRANSMAR SHIPPING CO. S.A. will:
- Comply with mandatory rules and regulations, taking into account codes, guidelines and standards from maritime organisations.
- Actively promote environmental awareness by training and education of its employees.
- Operate its offices and ships taking into consideration the efficient use and conservation of energy and materials.
- Ensure that residual wastes are disposed of in a safe and responsible manner.
- Require that suppliers and contractors working under its direct control and affiliated companies apply environmental standards consistent with its own.
- Recognise the value of open communication with the crew on an ongoing basis.
- Verify compliance through appropriate physical inspection, operational tests and document analysis.
- Participate in discussion with relevant authorities with a view to being aware of current environmental issues and topics and to develop measures to minimise risk to the environment.
All Company employees, shore based and sea going, are responsible for implementing the company's Environmental Management Policy.
The Company's Management is responsible to monitor and review this Policy on a regular basis in order to ensure that it remains relevant and effective. As evidence of Management's commitment on the implementation of the above that policy is to be posted at prominent positions at Company's premises and onboard managed vessels.